First steps for finding help

If you are not sure where to start, the following information should guide you on your journey.

  • Where do I start?

    • If you think you have additional needs, or are worried about your health and well-being, you may need help from a professional. This could be a General Practitioner (GP), occupational therapist, physiotherapist, psychologist, nurse, social worker, or a speech and language therapist. These professionals can work from different bases such as the hospital, community centre, or your home.
    • Before you contact the professional take a little time to write down your concerns. Here are few things you might want to think about:
    • General health, physical health and self-help, e.g. level of personal independence.
    • Communication difficulties: vision, hearing.
    • Outdoor activities at home.
    • Activities outside of home.
    • A significant change in your personal circumstances.
    • Anything you are particularly concerned about.
    • Remember there is no such thing as a daft question.
  • Who do I talk to?

    • Your GP or doctor would be a good person to talk to at any time.
    • For more information about GP surgeries please follow this link.
    • If you are receiving a service from a professional such as a district nurse, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, the Older Adults Mental Health Team or any other professional you can talk to them for some advice or signposting to an appropriate service.
    • Citizens Advice Guernsey are a good resource and may also be able to help, please contact them on 01481 242266.
    • Health Connections are a good resource of information and you may wish to talk to someone in the team. Please contact them on 01481 707470. or follow the link health connections
    • Remember there is no such question as a daft question and even if the professional cannot provide the support you require they will be able to point you in the direction of someone who will be able to assist.